Life Coaching vs. Counseling
Most often, people confuse the process of counseling with life coaching. Although both therapists/counselors and life coaches enable clients to make positive changes in their lives and become more productive, the two processes differ in their fundamentals.
Life Coaches focus on identifying the clients current obstacles and challenges to develop a plan on how to overcome or modify them. The goal is to help clients identify and understand their obstacles in order to guide them in the right direction towards achieving their desired results. Life coaches deals with optimizing the opportunities in the client's life so that he or she can achieve greater happiness and inner peace.
A life coach would be able to offer guidance by:
- Clarifying and achieving personal and professional goals
- Achieving a work/life balance
- Working to improve communication skills
- Achieving financial independence and security
Counselors and Therapists are healthcare professionals that work with clients to help them deal with emotion and issues in the past affecting the present. Their goal is deep understanding through exploring the clients subconscious and unconscious mind to determine illnesses and pathologies so they can be clinically treated.
A counselor or therapist focuses their conversation on ways to:
- Recover from past traumas
- Explore why past relationships (professional or personal) have been destructive
- Survive a divorce or loss of a loved one
- Work through depression or anxiety that affect your ability to function at home or work